surfing near diamond or publics

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
JeSennia

surfing near diamond or publics

Postby JeSennia » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:31 pm

Aloha, I'll be living near Kapiolani park and Kapahulu ave..was looking online for surf spots in the area and found Publics, also not too far away Cliffs and Lighthouse...been reading up about the sharp reef at low tide and a long paddle (at publics) anything else a noob should know (I'm already familiar with etiquette etc..usually surf at White plains and in the past at Queens, canoes etc..have both a 9'2 and 8'6 am beginner but not complete noob (know the basics)

from kapahulu/beach is it feasible to walk with the board to Publics? how about Diamond area is it feasible to ride over on a bike with board on rack?

and what's a long left? wave breaks to the left?

anyone who surfs this area email me thru my website at http://www.akaisilks.com we can meet for lunch and surf..

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:15 pm

(Diamond Head) Cliffs will be a good stepping stone from White plains. There's some exposed reef at lower tides on the left side of the channel on the paddle out but other than that area, it's relatively mellow bottom, all reef no sand though.

Be careful biking with a longboard, the DH is typically WINDY area! Depending on your bike legs, pedaling that hill might be a work out.

Lighthouse is much trickier than it looks from shore, can be extremely shallow with exposed reef in several impact areas.

red

Postby red » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:21 pm

Publics can be a good wave but you can get in to trouble real fast if you don't kick out in time. That inside tube can be lots of fun but the reef is very shallow and sharp. Go Cliffs. They give lessons there so obviously it's not that dangerous.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:23 pm

most Waikiki breaks are walkable but not recommended IMO unless you have all day to surf and want to waste time & energy. the breaks are mostly way out too so your bike with your brand new board rack will be a tempting target to the crooks who know you're out surfing.

A 'left' is a surfable wave that is breaking away from the peak to the surfer's left from the perspective of that surfer paddling toward shore. Viewd from shore a left would break from the peak to your right

JeSennia

Postby JeSennia » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:12 pm

hahahaa i have NO intentions of trying to get into barrel as you guys say..right now a clean pop up in control, and learning to do a good bottom turn are the goals..i am fine with shoulders right now and 2 fters

Bud i'll have plenty of time to waste ..i can go out any time of the day in waik because i won't be working much

.. a long paddle, i'll have to earn that :wink: i'm in penix i mean phoenix arizona right now and i'm white, weak and mushy, it may take a few weeks of paddling to feel decently strong again

does anyone wear reef shoes to avoid foot injury? or do the fashion police consider it dumb? hehehe
is it hard to balance with shoes on?

ok a left break got it, is it easier if you are goofy foot or no?

i hope you guys don't mind questions, i have a lot

JeSennia

Postby JeSennia » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:13 pm

hey Red I got your email how do i email you back?

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:07 pm

I would recommend Tonggs. Nice mellow left. Bit of a paddle, but most spots are and it's good for ya. Wear reef shoes if it makes you more comfortable. Screw what others think. It might crunch the deck of your board more over time, but it beats a vana in the foot.
Main thing...go have fun.
Owoooooooo!!

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:54 pm

tongs sounds more like ur spot, just cruise all the way down past kaimana beach till your in the residential neighborhood and theres a right of way to the beach, you'll see everyone surfing.

also old mans is a good spot just to the left of the wind sock, nice easy paddle out thru the channel at kaimana and ur there.

red

Postby red » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:17 pm

Watch what the outriggers are doing there. They don't exactly stop on a dime especially if they're in a wave.

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:14 pm

I listen to classical music because violins and shit are supposed to make you smarter

red

Postby red » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:09 pm

Publics is okay by us!

JeSennia

Postby JeSennia » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:15 am

hahhaa nice pics!

is Tongs walking distance from kap park? I'm bound to be just about anywhere this summer :D

Queens and Canoes wasn't too bad last summer as long as I was there before sunrise or near sunset..my entire day will be centered around the tide chart so surf time will be very flex

thanks for the tips guys
Jes

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”