Flesh Eating Disease

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
red

Flesh Eating Disease

Postby red » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Comrades, I don't feel so good about surfing town this past weekend. This poor bastard has already gotten a leg amputation and now he's probably going to die.

http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?storyID=7650

laks

Postby laks » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:45 pm

bummer :(

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:01 am

Apparently the poor guy died last night

red

Postby red » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:06 pm

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4367

If you keep reading it almost seems like a smear campaign against the dead guy. Yeah, he was drunk so he deserved it, right? Anything to take the focus off the fact they left the beaches open way too long.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Red I understand where you are coming from, but harbor is not the beach. And did anyone from the beaches contract this flesh eating sickness? Don't get me wrong I think the fact that this guy contracted this infection is wrong, and noone should have to experience that. But....

When I read the first reports of this man, I have to tell you things didn't seem to add up. Because any individual in good health like they portray him, it is virtually impossible to contract this sickness without other factors. You need massive dose of the bacteria for it to overwhelm the bodies defenses even a small cut in the skin would most likely not be enough as cuts begin to coagulate almost immediately. A simple dunking in the water would not be enough, if you got out of the water went home and showered. But if you have been involved in a fight (with multiple small cuts and bruises), and your drunk both lowering your body's defenses and then you enter the polluted water(either falling in or thrown in) possibly inhaling some of the polluted water because of your drunkness. Now you have all the requirements fullfilled for massive infection.
In addition after he stumbled home, gets sent to the hospital but refuses medical attention and obvious sign of someone drunk. And the hospital takes no notice of his wetness because hasnt it been raining like everyday? So they figure he is wet because of the rain not because he just came from a swim in a polluted harbor/ canal.

Well i'm just ranting, and i know nothing. What I do know as a law student I see $$$$.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:25 pm

The last report I heard was that it wasn't the flesh-eating virus that he had, but 3 or 4 different kinds of staff.
The last time I heard about the flesh-eating kine was two cases on the outer isles. A construction worker got bit on the foot by a centipede and a wahine cut her foot on a rock going out for a surf. Nothing out of the ordinary, but both died from it.
I guess some people carry it, and something triggers it.
Main thing I always tell my daughter...we're all here by the slimmest of margins. Try and appreciate every second. Take time to look at the beauty aroiund us. Tell your family and friends you love them. Go surfing.
Owoooooooo!!

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”