Surfers Fight for Kaka'ako (article)

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
neosponge

Surfers Fight for Kaka'ako (article)

Postby neosponge » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:32 am

Surfers Fight for Kaka'ako

..."I've been surfing Kewalos for over 35 years," said Iwami, a soft-spoken fire department captain raised in Manoa. "The ocean and the aina has given me strength and wisdom beyond words and made me the man I am today; and if this project goes through, I can foresee that things would change and a whole lifestyle would be lost."

The project he's referring to is the Kaka'ako Makai development project. The State of Hawaii, via the Honolulu Community Development Authority (HCDA), has proposed a $650M construction project on 36.5 acres that would change the complexion of urban Honolulu. Alexander & Baldwin Properties (A&B) has already been selected as the first-ranked developer of the project...

goro

Postby goro » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:00 am

good article neal and great pix...i like that last pic...
can't join them guys next week on the 12th as i'll be under the knife, getting my knee fixed...but i'll be with them in spirit :wink:

neosponge

Postby neosponge » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Goro,
During the course of writing this piece, I made it a point to go back and perused the email you sent me back in November. Thanks for giving me more awareness on the situation (sometimes too much--make me scared!). I considered mentioning the EA and traffic stuff, but thought it would dilute the focus, which is surfer (and surfers) looking out for the community. I figured these issues would get flushed out as we went along.

Take care the knee. Long walk down the Diamond Head trail. :D

goro

Postby goro » Sun May 07, 2006 2:53 pm

no worries neal...fixed da knee and looks like a&b got fixed 2...
here's a pic of the knee just before dey pull da stitches...warning graphic:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u= ... 0&res=high

if u r about to get this done yourself or wanna play doc or god, here's some virtual practice:
http://edheads.org/activities/knee/

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”